Tuesday, September 27, 2011

San Antonio

I just got back yesterday from my long weekend spent in San Antonio, Texas.  I must first start off by thanking my wonderful husband for taking care of the kids for 4 whole days all by himself!  It has been years since I have had the opportunity to take off and have a girl get-away and I could not have done it without my husbands encouragement and support.  Thank you Baby!
One of many picturesque bridges over the Riverwalk
I had always heard how beautiful the San Antonio Riverwalk was so it was on my list of destinations to hit.  So as soon as I found an incredible deal (round trip flight plus 3 nights at the Grand Hyatt on the Riverwalk for only $315) it was obvious that is where I was headed on a mini-vaca!  So my friend Beth and I packed up and headed out super early on Friday morning, leaving the cold and rainy Indianapolis behind us.

Our tall hotel where we were on the 24th (top) floor!

We landed in San Antonio a little later than anticipated after having a technical issue on our layover in Dallas.  We were just happy to get there safely!  Even though we were about 4 hours early to check-in, we thought we would give it a try....and it definitely worked to our advantage!  The first room that they gave us was still occupied (talk about creepy - walking into the room full of a man's belongings), the second room was torn apart (looked like they were in the middle of cleaning it and left) so by time we went down to get our third room they felt terrible for the inconvenience so they gave us $150 dollar credit for the hotel and an upgrade too!  Whoo-hoo!

The weather was nice and hot, especially in the afternoon - it was in the mid 90's all 4 days.  We didn't do anything too exciting: just relaxed, walked the riverwalk, visited the Alamo, ate at different restaurants along the riverwalk, went shopping, spent some time at the pool, watched a movie (I don't know how she does it), went to the jazz fest (where we watched Grammy winners Spanish Harlem Orchestra and couldn't tell the difference between any of their songs), took a riverboat tour, toured the San Fernando Cathedral (founded in 1731 - the oldest continually functioning in the US), and viewed the King William District (old mansions).  I have to say that on-line it looked like there was a bit more to do than what presented itself while we were there but overall it hit the spot for some relaxing time away.  And no matter how many times we walked along the riverwalk, I was always taken back by the beauty and serenity of it.
One of my favorite views along the Riverwalk

The first time I saw these formations I though they were all ducks!



























































































































































But on a closer look there were a few ducks but the other stuff was weird roots or something. 
A cute theatre on the Riverwalk - stage was on one side
And the seating was on the other (Beth chilling while I snapped some pics)
Standing in front of the Tower of Americas, located in Hemisfair Park,  where the World's Fair was held in 1968


A river tour boat
Me and Beth in front of one of many cute fountains along the Riverwalk
I was wowed by some of the trees and plants on the Alamo grounds

The San Fernado Cathedral

The Alamo was so pretty under the night lights.
I was welcomed home with signs, balloons, flowers, and lots of hugs and kisses from my wonderful family!


I have uploaded the rest of the pictures from San Antonio on our share site: http://drebailey.shutterfly.com/

No comments: