As you know summer holds baseball and softball for Heath. He has been playing once a week even through minor injuries with his wrists or what ever ailment he got from playing the week before. Even though his body is telling him that he is getting old, he neither acts like it nor acknowledges it. Late spring he met a younger version of himself, Ross, and the bromance has been steady ever since. They spend time on a weekly basis out on the back porch strumming the guitars, often with a cigar and whiskey nearby...never getting too crazy, just enjoying the summer nights. He also alternates between grilling or having a fish fry with friends and neighbors on a weekly basis too. Heath has had his fair share of concerts this summer: Brad Paisley, Tim McGraw, Rascal Flatts, Eric Church, Jason Aldean, Easton Corbin, Mercy Me, Third Day to name a few although there are many more that are escaping my memory. For those who don't know he also has temporarily ended his insurance job (until the heart of winter) to sell for Amerifence, working for his good friend Mike. He LOVES it! He gets to use some of his smarts with numbers and dimensions, is able to work outside, meets new people on a daily basis and has all of his appointments set for him! Although it has kept him away more from us at home when things were really busy, working 6 days a week, it has been more beneficial for our family as the saying goes, "happy hubby, happy life"...at least I say that!
Braxton has grown so much this summer not only in height but in speech and speed. He continues to love being outdoors and has figured out how to get dirty pretty quickly. We are lucky that he still is a people person and doesn't venture far from us when we are outside or out and about. He took his first bike ride and loves riding on daddy's bike while watching everything as it speeds by. Although he is his father's shadow when he is around he tends to be more of a momma's boy....even dissing Heath if he is hurt or upset...he needs his momma's tender lovin' to feel better! He was able to spend more time with his sister as she was home from school - there were some touching moments between them but on the flip side there were many times when the tension ran high. I was kidding myself to think that because of a 5 yr 4 month age difference there wouldn't be as much fighting!
Brooklynn started summer off attending two vacation bible schools, enrichment camp (4-H), swim lessons, going to holiday world and spending time at meemaw and peepaw's house. Then July hit and the whirlwind stopped and the fighting with her brother started! She spent July playing with her friends and doing the typical summer thing...staying up later, sleeping in, playing with friends, swimming, catching lighting bugs and so on. She was able to make it to the Rogers' family lake house a few times too - it was neat to see her enjoy the lake and cottage as I did when I was her age. She has also worked hard to learn to ride her bike. She is almost ready to take bike rides with us as a family. She read so much this summer. The library reading program had to cut her off as she acceded the points allowed to get prizes. Not a bad thing! Not a big surprise seeing as she made honor reader at school not only once, but twice. We are extremely proud of her.
I spent the summer trying out new recipes from Dr. Oz and Dr. Roizen's book, You On A Diet. Heath and I did the 14 day diet in the beginning of June with good results. I lost a solid 8 pounds and can now fit into most of my pre-Braxton clothes. I have continued to maintain. Heath lost 15 pounds and dropped a waist size and continued to loose 10 more. We have maintained but on account of making a significant eating change at home. No more HFCS in our home, only 100% whole wheat or grain products, no hydrogenated oils and more natural foods without the artificial crap and preservatives. Yes, Trader Joe's is my new favorite store! I have read some pretty good books this summer. Right now I am reading the 3rd book in the Hunger Games, Mockingjay. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE SERIES. Definitely made my favorite list! Heath and I had a 4 night/3 day break in August when the kids when to my mom's house. It was AWESOME! I had a list of stuff to get done but instead just enjoyed my time alone and heath and I spent a lot of quality time together, running around with out the kids.
We got a boat in June and have enjoyed going out on the water when Heath isn't working and Braxton isn't napping! The kids love to jump off and swim. I enjoy the strolls around the reservoir. It isn't too pretty or new but is a good boat and we have had lots of family and friend time on it this summer!
Well...that is our summer in a nutshell. I will be back soon to update with the month of August, with photos. Until then, God bless!
No comments:
Post a Comment